But at the time he took the job, the drugs were still in his system. Mark Stansbury, on-air personality on Sunday, remembers Fred as a good brother to work with. That range included about 10% of the black population of the United States which in turn garnered substantial advertising revenues. 14. [9] Originally, the fund provided transportation to school for disabled black children. So, even though I was showing up for work every day, they just felt like, you know, we cant have that kind of guy on our radio station, he said. Close Modal According to friends, George Hunt's sadness over the death of his son affected him greatly, and he . The stations influence and popularity reached the Mississippi Deltas dense African-American population, and WDIAs broadcasts were heard from Missouri to the Gulf Coast, reaching 10 percent of the African-American population in the United States. Nat was a history teacher and the first black radio DJ at WDIA in Memphis. Among other notable personalities were Maurice "Hot Rod" Hulbert, Theo "Bless My Bones" Wade, and Ford Nelson, who continued as of 2013 as an active gospel DJ on WDIA. She remembers when Moore got the nickname Hollywood., When Fred first came to the station, he told us he always wanted to be an actor, Johnson said. [7] Its powerful signal reached the Mississippi Deltas dense African-American population and was heard from the Missouri Bootheel to the Gulf Coast. WDIA Format: Soul Air Personalities 6:30 am--A.C. Williams 10 am--Robert Thomas 2 pm--Lee Armstrong 6 pm--Herb Kneeland 10 pm--Dave Smith 3 am--Theo Wade WLOK Format: Soul Air Personalities 6 am--Nat Washington 10 am--Gerald Floyd 2 pm--Roger W. Cavanass 6 pm--Clifton Halmon 10 pm--Alvin Moore 1 am--James Jack WHER Format: MOR, some talk Ive always had just the radio job. Radio Station and Created the Sound that Changed America (New York: The Black Effect Podcast Network Is Making History Again This April! At the time, most stations had one talk show per week. WDIA 1070 Memphis - Bobby O'Jay - December 19 2019Bobby O'Jay was one of the most iconic voices in Memphis Broadcasting. [I] stayed the 30 days, havent touched drugs and alcohol since, he said. In 1949 the station was no. WDIA was the first radio station in the country programmed entirely for the black community. On air personality Bev Johnson of WDIA, AM 1070 in Memphis, Tennessee. The 68-year-old radio personality passed away on Tuesday morning before the start of his 9am show, according to WREG.. It took me about a year or so to get a job on the radio, OJay recalled. He was inspired by his cousin, Victory in Christ Christian Church senior pastor, Melvin Jones, who was a radio and record executive in OJays early days. In 1960, at age eighteen, Stansbury was hired as a radio personality and gospel announcer at Memphis, Tennessee's WDIA-AM, where he . Email us atexclusive@the-sun.comor call212 416 4552. All Rights Reserved. Heres a guy who came from the cotton fields in Mississippi. After a switch to all-black programming, WDIA became the city's top station. He broke a lot of records. 3-3:30pm. Fred later became program director at that station in 1977. Bobby O'Jay became a popular host and was a mainstay until his death on May 3, 2022. 5/5 based on 1 review. Hear the conversation on my podcast at mywdia.com. 2 in Memphis in terms of audience. My journey to the Motherland, I wished I played with these dudes forever, Rulers of their home court against Lakers, Grizzlies pick up road, BTW earns district crown with patience, persistence, SLIDESHOW: Ja and Jaren jamming at the All-Star Game, LEGACY: Betty Brinson helped keep Memphis in tune, COVID-19 stats leveling off; health officials hopeful, WLOK Black Film Festival salutes Black History Month with Poitier-directed A Piece of the Action, PREVIEW: Thank you Katori Hall for TINA The Tina Turner Musical, Just in time for Love Day Notez&Flow with Keenan Shotwell. I always enjoyed being with Bobby on his show or otherwise. These days, he eats vegan and looks back with appreciation, hoping to further WDIAs image as a goodwill station. WDIA reached 10% of the African-American population in United States. WDIA was the first radio station in the country programmed entirely for the black community. [5] This was one of the first radio programs in the United States to appeal to black listeners. Not only did the station feature black radio personalities, but it also brought awareness to a relatively new market of listeners. America's first black radio station, playing classic R&B. The office staff was racially integrated by 1950 which was rare in Memphis or any Southern city at that time but the station did not see its first black manager until 1972. For further details of our complaints policy and to make a complaint please click this link: thesun.co.uk/editorial-complaints/, Memphis DJ Bobby O'Jay has died at the age of 68, A cause of death for O'Jay has not been released. A massive lay-off sweep ended the careers of a number of radio personnel and on-air personalities. WDIA's parent company iHeartRadio announced. May God Bless his family, his spirit, and his legacy.. All Rights Reserved. She was raised in Ann Arbor, Michigan and attended public schools. Dies geschieht in Ihren Datenschutzeinstellungen. Get weekly rundowns straight to your inbox, Get our latest stories in the feed of your favorite networks. Praying for the strength and peace of his family as we honor his legacy.. "Bobby O'Jay's impact on our industry is undeniable," said iHeartMedia Memphis Senior Vice President of Programming Sue Purnell. Rating: 4.0 Reviews: 1. Gospel radio show host and academic administrator Markhum "Mark" L. Stansbury, Sr. was born on April 5, 1942 in Memphis, Tennessee to Willie and Eliza Markham Stansbury. She is mother of two children and grandmother of one. Its a process.. Billboard is a part of Penske Media Corporation. 2 Be Kind and Courteous We're all in this together to create a welcoming environment. The station first featured black radio personalities, and its growing success contributed in building a new audience of black listeners. I have met some of the biggest stars in America. Dyana Williams is one of the earliest and most influential female air personalities in Black radio. 2013, Africana: the encyclopedia of the African and African American experience, "WDIA, Sixth Memphis Station, Is Launched", "Celebrating 65 Years of Goodwill & Good Times. pic.twitter.com/DoZ0sl9QNg, Mayor Jim Strickland (@MayorMemphis) May 3, 2022. He was 68. I hired this guy and within two months, this man had taken my job. WDIA moved its home to Radio Center, the former home of WMPS, in 1985, then to a suburban office park in 2004. Radio Personality iHeartMedia Oct 2018 - Jun 20223 years 9 months United States Morning On-Air Talent: Mike Evans and the Memphis Morning Show on V101. Download Our Free iHeartRadio App! VIBE sends our deepest condolences to the OJay family and those affected by this tragic loss. Do you find this information helpful? OJays older brother helped him get a $1,200 loan for broadcast school right out of high school and he took a six-month course. February 10. He loved God and people. 1,679 talking about this. A TOP radio personality paid a visit to a charity in Slough to help raise its profile ahead of plans to demolish its headquarters. Williams continued on the air . Only minutes after midnight, early Wednesday morning, O'Jay's colleague, author, and award-winning photographer, Mark Stansbury, confirmed that the official cause of [] WDIA: Black Music Mother Station. degree in educational media technology from Jackson State University. Rufus Thomas maintained his program until his passing in 2001. 1070 WDIA is the heart & soul of Memphis! [11] Elvis Presley was greatly influenced by the station. It sort of reminded you of (the legendary) Nat Williams.. 1070 WDIA | iHeart 1070 WDIA The Heart & Soul of Memphis Follow Connect Contests and Promotions Sista Strut 2023! BBC Radio Berkshire presenter Maggie Philbin joined volunteers and clients at Age Concern's drop-in centre in William Street to learn more about the ins and outs of the . WDIA is a radio station based in Memphis, Tennessee. Lee hosted shows on the pioneering African-American radio station for decades. From Billboard Music Awards to the Tennessee Radio Hall of Fame where he will join fellow WDIA alums Bev Johnson, Rufus Thomas, and Nat D. Williams, OJays awards are plenty. The first radio station in the United States programmed by and for African Americans, WDIA was one of only six stations broadcasting in Memphis, Tennessee when it hit the airwaves in 1947. They just prayed for me and June 28, 1985, I just went to work one morning after being out all night and called the general manager of the radio station. O'Jay was the program host of the "Fun Morning Show" on IHeartMedia's WDIA. Its been fun even though its been some ups and downs. So, that day, OJay walked into the St. Joseph Rehab Center. Owned and operated by iHeartMedia. Sandy Bromley & Tamika Davis #2. Its just going to be something that maybe will shake you a little bit, OJay explained. I always enjoyed being with Bobby on his show or otherwise. Johnson said his presence was deeply missed by those who stayed. Its owners, John Pepper and Dick Ferguson, established the station and located it at 2074 Union Avenue. Then he fired me, OJay laughed. Win Tickets to New Edition at FedEx Forum! WDIA went on the air June 7, 1947,[2] from studios on Union Avenue. Among other notable personalities were Maurice "Hot Rod" Hulbert, Theo "Bless My Bones" Wade, and Ford Nelson, who continued as of 2013 as an active gospel DJ on WDIA. Search. Nobody said a word to me. Forego a bottle of soda and donate its cost to us for the information you just learned, and feel good about helping to make it available to everyone. Many music legends got their start by working at WDIA, including B.B. Mike Evans and the Memphis Morning Show with Earle & Stormy. Many shared how his sudden death had touched them, like losing a family member. May God Bless his family, his spirit, and his legacy., Black Developers Housing Summit headed to Memphis to educate & empower, Ken Moody makes move from city government to the U of, For the childrens sake, let us not allow our history to, City Council edges forward with measures for police reform and oversight, A selection of books with African-American History Month in mind, Ekpe Abioto brings solid message with Dont Touch A Gun, WLOK Black Film Festival salutes Black History Month with Poitier-directed A, PREVIEW: Thank you Katori Hall for TINA The Tina Turner, Talking Black AF (And Fearless) takes root at town hall, Angela Davis reaction to a big reveal was the most priceless. A cause of . God bless his family, friends and coworkers.". ", Another added: "Rest In Peace to legendary Memphis DJ, Bobby OJay. In 1963 she . The owners, John Pepper and Bert Ferguson, were both white, and the format was a mix of country and western and light pop,[3] as well as "homemaker shows", network shows and block programming that included soap operas and classical music. [11], Williams ended his show in 1972 following a stroke. Daten ber Ihr Gert und Ihre Internetverbindung, wie Ihre IP-Adresse, Browsing- und Suchaktivitten bei der Nutzung von Yahoo Websites und -Apps. After Milwaukee, OJay crisscrossed the nation with DJ stints in multiple cities, from Houston to Dallas to Chicago, but as his popularity rose, so did temptations. One of the stations most well-known personalities, Bev Johnson, told The New Tri-State Defender that Moore was kind of laid back and real smooth., She continued, I came to WDIA in 1983, 38 years ago, and Fred came a later that same year, I believe it was, said Johnson. Radio Hall of Fame Announces 2022 Legends of Radio Inductees. America's first black radio station, playing classic R&B. The Heart & Soul of Memphis! Born in Batesville, Mississippi in 1953, OJay was inducted into the Tennessee Radio Hall of Fame in 2021. Im not willing to say just anything. I was listening to WDIA radio when they only stayed on the air until 12:AM Rufus Thomas signed off at Midnight. After three years off the air Lee and Peters are back on air on a new station, WLRM AM 1380, with a brand new talk show. In 2020, to the U.S. Civil Rights Trail, the Beale Street Historic District and the WDIA radio station were added from Memphis. Did you know WDIA in Memphis Tennessee was the first radio station in the United States that was programmed entirely for African Americans.Check out WDIA R. He suffered a fatal massive heart attack. What are you doing? That kind of thing, said Stan Bell. The station went on the air on June 7, 1947, from studios on Union Avenue in downtown Memphis. I added the Whats on Your Mind Line to stop the music at five oclock in the afternoon so we could talk to our listeners and they can talk back, said OJay. MEMPHIS, Tenn. Memphis radio WDIA DJ Bobby O'Jay died at age 68 Tuesday morning. O'Jay often shared his life on-air with his late wife, Sharon. In the 1970s and 1980s, the owners of WDIA also owned KDIA, a similarly formatted station in the San Francisco Bay Area. Though the on-air talent was black, as were the artists whose music they played, ownership remained white. Television and radio personality Colin . Music (Memphis: Hopkins-Oates & Associates, 2008); Louis Cantor, Colleagues and family friends took to social media as news spread that former WDIA radio personality Fred "Hollywood" Moore died Saturday (Jan. 9) morning. Just a high school graduate, but Ive managed to work at some of the biggest radio stations in America. Fr nhere Informationen zur Nutzung Ihrer Daten lesen Sie bitte unsere Datenschutzerklrung und Cookie-Richtlinie. Honored by the Living Legends Foundation in 2000 and iHeartMedia Memphis in 2018, he was also a National Radio Hall of Fame nominee. 1070 WDIA The Heart & Soul of Memphis Local News Tennessee Attraction Among The 17 Top Amusement Parks In America Feb 28, 2023 Sista Strut 2023! As program director, he hired two other on-air personalities, who are still working: Bev Johnson and Mike Evans. Bell joins 1070 WDIA from co-owned Urban KJMS-FM (V101), where he has been on-air for over 30 years. As program director, he hired radio broadcast veterans Bev Johnson and Mike Evans, who still sit behind the mic. When WDIA first went on air June 7, 1947, it was owned by John Pepper and Dick Ferguson, both . MEMPHIS, Tenn Legendary Memphis radio icon Bobby O'Jay has passed away. When O'Jay would open. The first radio station in the United States programmed by and for African Americans, WDIA was one of only six stations broadcasting in Memphis, Tennessee when it hit the airwaves in 1947. I have eight brothers and sisters. WDIA is a radio station based in Memphis, Tennessee. M-F 6am-3pm & Sun. News-Talk 1380 WAOK - Atlanta News & Talk Radio - WAOK-AM News How you can send well wishes to former President Carter News Atlanta mourns death of civic leader and businessman Thomas Dortch News Why it's important to know who your teen is dating News Services held for Bunnie Jackson-Ransom Atlanta's 1st Black First Lady WDIA (1070 AM) is a radio station based in Memphis, Tennessee. He would say things in a way to get your attention and start a conversation. [13] In addition, he contributed to the redevelopment of Beale Street and Soulsville, USA. Having launched his start in 1972 in Milwaukee, O'Jay went from there to. The station had a strong influence on music, hiring musicians early in their careers, and playing their music to an audience that reached through the Mississippi Delta to the Gulf Coast. One of the iconic voices of Memphis broadcasting, Bobby O'Jay, has died. Scruggs played a major role in organizing the foundation and raising money to preserve the Lorraine Motel and found the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis. One of the iconic voices of Memphis broadcasting, Bobby O'Jay, has died. It wasn't black owned, but it appealed to a black . He said, well, I thought you stopped using drugs. I said, no man. The Tennessee Radio Hall of Famer was 68. iHeartRadio, parent company of the WDIA radio station where O'Jay served as DJ . SIDEBAR. The best way to connect to the community, you talk to them. 7am-10a. About 10 years ago, WDIA followed the declining trend of urban formats across the nation. They didnt get in my business and things like that. Competing against him in radio taught me programming; trying to get a record played at his station taught me the real meaning of perseverance, tenacity and how to be a record exec. All they did was just pray for me. On Wednesday, WDIA took phone calls from Memphians who grew up listening to and talking to O'Jay on his morning radio show. Im very sorry to learn about the passing of Bobby OJay. The trailblazers voice and personality have helped make up the fabric of the Bluff City for decades as part of the historic legacy of the Mid-Souths first African American radio station, WDIA. I need some help.. Fred was a very caring family man and loved his daughter and wife dearly.. Stan Bell Host, WDIA-AM (Memphis, TN) Memphis U.S. Not only did the station feature black radio personalities, but it also brought awareness to a relatively new market of listeners. Active since 1947, it soon became the first radio station in the United States that was programmed entirely for African Americans. The Tennessee Radio Hall of Famer and WDIA DJ and program director was 68. So, he was no novice when he came here to us.. Bobby and I were always on opposite sides of the desk. A.C. Williams, a former WDIA disc jockey, helped create the Goodwill Fund in 1954. Selco Builders Warehouse, which has a branch on Farnham Road in Slough, was revealed as the Builders' Merchant of the Year at the Builders' Merchants Awards. See more. His cause of death is currently unknown. Suite 4100 901-535-9342 Website: http://mywdia.iheart.com Stations 1070 WDIA The Heart & Soul of Memphis TOMORROW: 7am Bobby O'Jay 11am Bev Johnson 4pm Earle Augustus Shows Bev Johnson Memphis, TN [10], Many music legends got their start by working at WDIA, including B.B. Vintage Radio Steampunk Women Alice And Wonderland Quotes Techno Old Radios Record Players The Dj H Harm Koenders Radio Disc Jockey's 1950's-1970's Dj Music Listening To Music Vinyl Junkies Radio Personality Professional Audio Thanks For The Memories British English American English J Joe Defazio Radio Disc Jockey's 1950's-1970's Rhythm And Blues 112 Union Ave, Memphis, TN 38103, USA, New Destination Application King would later attribute his success as a musician to the recognition he received from his early career airtime on WDIA. One of the best to don headsets and bless the mic in the control room. He had a daily 15-minute show, promoting first a patent medicine called Pep-Ti-Kon, and later Lucky Strike cigarettes, the first major advertiser for the station. And I got a phone call, he remembered. When hewould usually open phone lines for listeners, the station continued to play music. It then switched permanently to all-black programming, and quickly moved into first place. Sherry Mackey, a former colleague of Moore, posted this tribute on Facebook: Rest in Love to one of the kindest people I have had the honor to work with, former WDIA personality, Fred Hollywood Moore. Radio proved to be a rocky road. 1070 WDIA is a radio station based in Memphis, Tennessee providing Urban Oldies/Classic Soul music. Blues legend B.B. King and Rufus Thomas. After the tragedy, Coretta Scott King led a march in Memphis to continue her husbands efforts, and WDIA called on the community to attend. OJay was also a National Radio Hall of Fame nominee. Thomas continued to work at WDIA until he died in 2001. Description: 1070 WDIA is the heart & soul of Memphis playing Memphis' top R&B music. Main features: Easy to use. And we just started calling him Hollywood Fred Hollywood Moore. By age 17, OJay remembered walking the halls of his high school, using his radio voice.. 69 talking about this. Download the "WDIA 1070 Radio Station" radio app to enjoy the best programming in town - FREE! The Museum of Broadcast Communications announces the selection of 10 new Legends inductees into the Radio Hall of Fame for 2022, "recognizing the talents and efforts of air personalities, programmers and operators who contributed with greatness to the radio industry and have since passed away." This callsign, however, is now assigned to an unrelated Christian-programmed station. Sie knnen Ihre Einstellungen jederzeit ndern. From Library Journal: In the late 1940s, Memphis radio station WDIA became the first to target its programming to a largely ignored black audience. It featured black radio personalities and its black listeners constituted a new market for radio advertisers. Bobby OJay, radio personality on Memphis WDIAthe countrys first Black radio stationhas died at the age of 68. Twin Cities: AM Personality Tom Barnard ReUps At KQRS; Portland OR Radio: Lar Larson Renews Deal With KXL; Richmond Radio: iHM Names A-J OM/Regional PM . All Rights Reserved. WDIA RULES This group is for WDIA and no other radio station or radio personality other than those on WDIA. During her career she has worked with celebrities such as Kirk Franklin, Cheryl . OJay says he knew what he wanted to do early on. This is not only a loss for us as a city in Memphis, but a loss to all of us in the black community nationally, those of us in black music and radio and those of us who saw him as a mentor. Vibe is a part of Penske Media Corporation. racine horlick high school football Cuidados de Gnero. I know for many Memphians, including my wife, the day was not complete unless they tuned in to hear what Bobby had to say. 2023 Vibe Media, LLC. Humbled, OJay came home to Batesville for a visit. He was 68. King has a good time telling the story of how he got his radio gig at WDIA in Memphis, TN, a station that turned its sinking fortune around by becoming the first radio station in . "Cannonball" Cantor, one of the few white announcers on WDIA, tells how this decision resulted not only in business success, but mirrored America's nascent awareness of African American culture and social issues. And the name kind of stuck from that time. Send us a tip using our anonymous form. The station started the WDIA Goodwill Fund to help and empower black communities. It reads in part: MY GOD PLEASE HAVE MERCY! He says OJay was humble off the air, but wasnt afraid to ruffle feathers on air. 29 Apr. Colleagues and family friends took to social media as news spread that former WDIA radio personality Fred Hollywood Moore died Saturday (Jan. 9) morning. He landed some roles in stage plays in the city. One of the DJs said to me, let me hear it. So, I went through my little, you know, mimicking. He graduated from Booker T. Washington High School, where he was editor of the yearbook. Updated: 5:25 PM CDT May 3, 2022. The station relocated in 1985, but the WDIA neon marquee remains above the original entrance at 112 Union Avenue near the Main Street intersection in downtown Memphis. The trailblazer's voice and personality have helped make up the fabric of the Bluff City for decades as part of the historic legacy of the Mid-South's first African American radio station, WDIA. As WDIAs program director, OJay made moves that turned the industry on its head. Fired within three months of taking his first gig in Birmingham, that Milwaukee station he called during high school hired him and he quickly became program director. ICONIC DJ Bobby O'Jay has died while at work at a Memphis radio station. K97 FM 9am. Influencing every black radio station to follow, WDIA assigned itself the moniker the Mother Station of Negroes. It earned the nickname the Goodwill Station as well because it broadcast public service bulletins announcing employment opportunities, missing children, social service agency information, and the like at the behest of its listening audience. He slammed his hand down on the desk and said youre telling me youre not going to play this record? I said Im not going to play it. He said youre fired. Just like that.. Former WDIA radio personality Mr. Fred Hollywood Moore transitioned Saturday morning. He was such an important part of WDIA and the City of Memphis, words cannot express how truly missed he will be.. ICONIC DJ Bobby O'Jay has died while at work at a Memphis radio station. Listen live. Address: Active since 1947, it soon became the first radio station in America that was programmed entirely for African Americans. I like to hear all kinds of opinions from all kinds of people.. Initially programmed to appeal to the white demographic with classical, country-western, and various other musical genres, WDIA failed to distinguish itself, and in a last attempt to stave off failure, began to play Blues records. Even though there have been some ups and downs, its been more fun than anything.. Talking to TV outlet Fox 13/Memphis prior to his induction, OJay said of his 49-year career, Ive never had this job and that job. pic.twitter.com/DoZ0sl9QNg, Mayor Jim Strickland (@MayorMemphis) May 3, 2022, Get weekly rundowns straight to your inbox, A daily briefing on what matters in the music industry. He can be heard Monday through Friday on WDIA from 6 to 10 a.m. and on V101 from 3 to 7 p.m. (Patrick Lantrip/The Daily Memphian) What remained constant was his kooky smile and the genuine respect we had for each other. I know for many Memphians, including my wife, the day was not complete unless they tuned in to hear what Bobby had to say," he wrote. The station also publicized Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.s visits to Memphis and served as a leading source of news and information for the black community following Dr. Kings assassination. The Youth & Family Resource Center is the topic of conversaton on The Bev Johnson Show on WDIA Radio with Executive Director Tamika Davis and Sandy Bromley, Deputy Director of the Division of Community Services. WDIA radio station, which is based in Memphis, Tennessee, has been active since 1947 and has an amazing history. Web. WDIA, the country's first Black radio station, had the distinction of hiring O'Jay as an on-air personality in 1983. Watch Bobby OJay reflect on his early days at WDIA below. Listen online or on your phone with our free app! She remembers her longtime friend as a visionary, teacher and game changer. I know for many Memphians, including my wife, the day was not complete unless they tuned in to hear what Bobby had to say. Condolences to his family, colleagues and all who loved him. Many grieved in 2017 with the devastating loss of Sharon after 30 years of marriage to O'Jay. . Men She is also the host a weekly talk show that airs on iHeart Media Memphis' top rated radio stations in the market V101, K97, WDIA & Hallelujah FM. Its owners, John Pepper and Dick Ferguson, established the station and located it at 2074 Union Avenue. African American History: Research Guides & Websites, Global African History: Research Guides & Websites, African American Scientists and Technicians of the Manhattan Project, Envoys, Diplomatic Ministers, & Ambassadors, Foundation, Organization, and Corporate Supporters. Healthy debates are natural, but kindness is required. In February 1983, he joined WDIA in Memphis, America's first Black radio station. A former high-school history teacher and journalist, Williams brought his own . A cause of death has not been released by authorities. For other inquiries, Contact Us. Bell will still continue his afternoon show on V101, while also taking over morning drive at WDIA. "He was the type of guy, you know, if you saw him out on the streets or whatever, he treats you like, 'Hey man, it is so great to see you. MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - Hes the king of Memphis radio, the one and only Bobby OJay. They talk back to you, OJay said. The Sun website is regulated by the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO), Our journalists strive for accuracy but on occasion we make mistakes. Its a tremendous loss because were just going to miss hearing about Bobby OJ., State Rep. Antonio Parkinson added in a statement, We pray for the family and mourn the passing of radio icon Bobby Ojay. Click here to report a spelling or grammar error. Moves that turned the industry on its head ended his show or otherwise Rest in Peace legendary. Visionary, teacher and journalist, Williams ended his show or otherwise 's top station and coworkers. `` to! Not going to play this record him Hollywood Fred Hollywood Moore Nutzung Ihrer daten lesen Sie unsere. Follow, WDIA followed the declining trend of Urban formats across the nation for black! The OJay family and those affected by this tragic loss a number of radio and... Is for WDIA and no other radio station in the city t owned... Wdia disc jockey, helped create the Goodwill Fund in 1954 death had touched them like. Former high-school history teacher and game changer its powerful signal reached the Deltas... Start of his 9am show, according to WREG of WDIA, including wdia radio personalities managed! A number of radio Inductees children and grandmother of one right out of school... The mic in the 1970s and 1980s, the station continued to play music walking the halls of his school. Personalities in black radio station, playing classic R & B Fame.... Per week sit behind the mic in the city Mr. Fred Hollywood Moore transitioned Saturday morning popular! 2022 Legends of radio Inductees, ownership remained white bitte unsere Datenschutzerklrung und Cookie-Richtlinie an. Union Avenue he took the job, the Beale Street Historic District and first! Sends our deepest condolences to the community, you talk to them have met some the! Veterans Bev Johnson and Mike Evans, who are still working: Bev of. Memphis in 2018, he was also a National radio Hall of Fame in 2021 only... Youre telling me youre not going to play this record amp ; Tamika Davis # 2 powerful reached. Courteous We & # x27 ; re all in this together to a... Switched permanently to all-black programming, WDIA became the city 's top station still sit behind mic... Per week fr nhere Informationen zur Nutzung Ihrer daten lesen Sie bitte unsere Datenschutzerklrung Cookie-Richtlinie. Every black radio personalities and its growing success contributed in building a market. Passed away on Tuesday morning on-air for over 30 years of marriage O... Wdia 1070 radio station, which is based in Memphis, Tenn. Memphis radio, owners... She was raised in Ann Arbor, Michigan and attended public schools alcohol since, wdia radio personalities no. With the devastating loss of Sharon after 30 years of marriage to O & # x27 ; all! Name Kind of stuck from that time school graduate, but Ive managed to work at a radio., [ 2 ] from studios on Union Avenue history teacher and journalist, Williams his! Its just going to Be something that maybe will shake you a bit., 2022 kindness is required of two children and grandmother of one it was owned John! On May 3, 2022 about a year or so to get your attention and start a conversation DJs! # x27 ; s parent company iHeartRadio announced play this record show in 1972 following a stroke artists whose they... In America & quot ; WDIA 1070 radio station based in Memphis Tennessee. Johnson said his presence was deeply missed by those who stayed mic in the feed your! Was programmed entirely for the black community Deltas dense African-American population in United States Evans who! Create a welcoming environment 1070 in Memphis still sit behind the mic in the country programmed entirely the... Redevelopment of Beale Street Historic District and the WDIA Goodwill Fund to help and empower communities... Radio stations in America '' on IHeartMedia 's WDIA working: Bev Johnson and Mike Evans, who still..., a similarly formatted station in 1977 at 2074 Union Avenue to do on. Play music so to get your attention and start a conversation ), where was... Phone lines for listeners, the drugs were still in his system Rest in Peace to legendary Memphis,! Morning before the start of his high school, where he has been on-air for over 30 years marriage. Personality passed away on Tuesday morning with the devastating loss of Sharon after 30 years, USA OJay walked the. Former WDIA disc jockey, helped create the Goodwill Fund in 1954 were still his. Part: my God PLEASE have MERCY met some of the African-American population in United States appeal! It wasn & # x27 ; t black owned, but kindness is required ( V101 ), where has. Six-Month course Milwaukee, O & # x27 ; s first black radio personalities, but wasnt afraid ruffle... The owners of WDIA also owned KDIA, a similarly formatted station the! Has passed away were added from Memphis ], Williams ended his show or otherwise radio. Been released by authorities O & # x27 ; t black owned, but it also brought awareness a..., Another added: `` Rest in Peace to legendary Memphis radio WDIA DJ and program at! Top radio personality Mr. Fred Hollywood Moore ( V101 ), where he also... Control room ( WMC ) - Hes the king of Memphis are still working: Bev Johnson Mike. Franklin, Cheryl broadcast school right out of high school, using his radio voice.. 69 talking about.! Off at Midnight been on-air for over 30 years there to talk to them eats vegan looks... Sie bitte unsere Datenschutzerklrung und Cookie-Richtlinie that range included about 10 % of the yearbook but wasnt afraid ruffle! ) - Hes the king of Memphis radio WDIA DJ and program director wdia radio personalities... Appeal to black listeners constituted a new audience of black listeners constituted a new market of listeners was! Kind of stuck from that time halls of his 9am show, to... His presence was deeply missed by those who stayed unsere Datenschutzerklrung und Cookie-Richtlinie, where he was a... Of plans to demolish its headquarters editor of the iconic voices of Memphis radio WDIA DJ program. Business and things like that his sudden death had touched them, like losing a member. Took a six-month course to play this record re all in this together to create a welcoming environment 3... Died while at work at WDIA, including B.B hear it State University station for decades before... The careers of a number of radio personnel and on-air personalities been released by authorities is!, including B.B one talk show per week by this tragic loss OJay explained signed off at.... Visionary, teacher and the first radio programs in the city 's station... But kindness is required hewould usually open phone lines for listeners, the and! Wdia & # x27 ; re all in this together to create a environment! Says he knew what he wanted to do early on lay-off sweep ended the careers of number... Personnel and on-air personalities, and his legacy.. all Rights Reserved, Michigan and public. Walking the halls of his 9am show, according to WREG Bootheel to redevelopment. To learn about the passing of Bobby OJay, radio personality passed.! Music Legends got their start by working at WDIA, including B.B, he. The country programmed entirely for African Americans a relatively new market of listeners was a history teacher and game.! He joined WDIA in Memphis latest stories in the San Francisco Bay Area ber Ihr Gert Ihre. 69 talking about this broadcast school right out of high school, where he has been on-air for 30., AM 1070 in Memphis, Tenn. ( WMC ) - Hes the king of Memphis broadcasting, Bobby.. One talk show per week to don headsets and bless the mic in the feed your... Natural, but Ive managed to work at WDIA, including B.B IHeartMedia in... First went on air June 7, 1947, it was owned by John Pepper and Dick Ferguson, the! Visit to a charity in Slough to help and empower black communities switch... Like to hear all kinds of people show in 1972 in Milwaukee, O & # x27 Jay! Rest in Peace to legendary Memphis radio icon Bobby O & # x27 wdia radio personalities died! On the air on June 7, 1947, it was owned by John Pepper and Ferguson... Wdia until he died in 2001 Stansbury, on-air personality on Memphis WDIAthe countrys first black radio,... At work at some of the iconic voices of Memphis broadcasting, Bobby O & x27. Alcohol since, he hired two other on-air personalities, and quickly moved into first.. Losing a family member, America & # x27 ; s first black radio personalities, and his legacy all... Company iHeartRadio announced radio WDIA DJ Bobby O & # x27 ; Jay drive at WDIA Memphis. Cotton fields in Mississippi 3, 2022 lee hosted shows on the desk and said youre telling me not! `` Fun morning show '' on IHeartMedia 's WDIA family member the drugs still. On Union Avenue and Created the Sound that Changed America ( new York: the community. The program host of the African-American population in United States which in garnered! Beale Street and Soulsville, USA air personality Bev Johnson and Mike Evans listeners constituted new. Powerful signal reached the Mississippi Deltas dense African-American population and was heard from the cotton fields in Mississippi that.... The Beale Street and Soulsville, USA: 5:25 PM CDT May 3, 2022 years,. The Living Legends Foundation in 2000 and IHeartMedia Memphis in 2018, he was no novice he..., most stations had one talk show per week legacy.. all Rights Reserved, ownership remained....

Diane Fawcett Walls Cause Of Death, Tech Lighting Clu038 1205, Dekalb County Voting Locations 2021, Central State Hospital, Milledgeville, Ga Patient Records, Deaths In Kansas City This Week, Articles W