He couldnt believe that such a creature existed without his knowledge. In much the same way, I think the people who have picketed and railed against The House of the Cerulean Sea in recent weeks probably also hold the sincere belief that they are doing something good and positive. The House in the Cerulean Sea is an enchanting love story, masterfully told, about the profound experience of discovering an unlikely family in an unexpected placeand realizing that family is yours. Klune incorporates many real world problems in his book, such as child abuse, discrimination, and segregation. Mild-mannered government caseworker Linus Baker is sent on a secret assignment to an island orphanage he's never even heard of. Why bother? I hope youll like the other two. At forty, he lives in a tiny house with a devious cat and his old records. These scratches are a history. It is short, accessible, and easy to get through. Coincidentally, The House in the Cerulean Sea is about found families and islands, and it features someplace called the Marsyas Island Orphanage which is the home of an orphan named Lucyshort for Lucifer, for he is the Antichristwhere he lived with five other dangerous children: a gnome, a sprite, a wyvern, a were-Pomeranian, and a bellhop (which is just about the only aspect of Chaunceys identity that is clear to us). On the long side for some middle grade readersbut a great choice for other kids who are reading above grade level but not ready for typical YA/adult content. Their caretaker is the charming and enigmatic Arthur Parnassus, who will do anything to keep his wards safe. I have an imagination but seeing what the author wanted us to invision would have been grand!!! Linus faints dead away on reading the first file, belonging to Lucy (short for Lucifer), the 6-year-old reputed to be the child of Satan, but as time passes and he investigates further, he starts, for the first time, to question some of the things Extremely Upper Management has been telling him about these kids. It's the type of book that reminds you of being outside on a sunny day with a cool breeze blowing through. Change). The proud defense of their home and foster parent made me care for their well-being even more. ', "'He didn't,' J-Bone said. Maybe I enjoy the subversion as a sort of rebellion against the speciesof overpowered adolescent Chosen Ones who overpopulate the fantasy stories of my youth. I wish that the lesson they took from the book is one of kindness and charity, in giving people the benefit of the doubt. Set in a world much like our own ('50s music plays a big role), it's the tale of Linus Baker, a downtrodden, dutiful middle-aged bureaucrat who's spent his entire career toiling for DICOMY (Department In Charge of Magical Youth), which, in theory, is the government agency in charge of protecting assorted gnomes, sprites, wyverns and the like from mistreatment, violence, and death at the hands of humans. Brittle and thin. A downtrodden bureaucrat goes a remote island populated by magical kids and their mysterious teacher, where his heart begins to unshrivel in unexpected ways, which is a treat to see. This book . As Linus Baker reaches the house in the Cerulean Sea, he meets the magical children who call it home. [12], Klune's Young Adult debut, The Extraordinaries, is praised by Kirkus for its use of superhero and fan fiction tropes, while Publishers Weekly compliments Klune on writing a teenaged character with ADHD in a positive and supportive light. So true. House in the Cerulean Sea was a story born from the Sixties Scoop, which refers to Canada removing indigenous children from their own families and placing them into white families, which went on for about twenty years and is still having an effect today. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, The Inquisitor's Tale: Or, the Three Magical Children and Their Holy Dog, 10 Magical Reads for Kids Who Love Harry Potter. When you buy through our links, Insider may earn an affiliate commission. As Arthur and Linus grow closer, long-held secrets are exposed, and Linus must make a choice: destroy a home or watch the world burn. It is charmingly uncomplicated and wears its heart of its dust jacketand sometimes, that is precisely what we need. So what if I, an adult, want to indulge in a daydream in which my Sword of Destiny is my good intentions, and believeeven for just a few hundred pages that if I wield it sincerely and earnestly enough, I can defeat deeply entrenched systemic issues of bigotry and discrimination in just a couple of weeks? We used to have a rescue, a Siberian husky, whom we named Lucy. But the children arent the only secret the island keeps. ISBN-13: 9781250217288. And it was quite apparent to all who met him that Lucy is a boy and because we live in a deeply gendered society, people naturally wondered why we named him thatand I, naturally a troll, enjoyed everyones bafflement so much that I was not always forthright with the explanation. And then the main character meets a sprite. It wasnt easy to say goodbye to Lucy and leaving him with his newfound family when we moved our entire household from one island to another last year, and I cannot help but think of him as I read the explanation for Lucys name in T. J. Klunes The House in the Cerulean Sea. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Chapter 1. This is a story about being brave, showing up as your true self, and seeing others for who they truly are. As James Baldwin wisely noted "Children have never been very good at . I believe that Mr Klune wrote this book with the sincere hope that he would be adding something good and positive to the world. Linus learns that home is more of a feeling than a place. Hardcover - 17 March 2020. Please refer to the information below. He has lived his life according to the rules, until he is sent on a special project to Marsyas Island Orphanage - home to . Klune specifically explores how and why the actions and words of adults have long-term effects on children. [3], Klune has been open about his lived experiences with asexuality, queerness and neurodiversity, and how they influence his writing. And all of that can be true, and you can still like the book and the story. Promise. I stopped reading..but you shouldnt! ISBN: 978-1-250-21728-8. [2] Amazon noted Bear, Otter and the Kid as one of the top LGBTQ+ books of 2011.[10]. Am I wrong? Linus Baker. Why I Stopped Reading The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ KluneBut You Shouldnt! It's also the people we choose to surround ourselves with" (281). in Journalism from Marist College and previously wrote for BuzzFeed's Shopping and Products beat. ', "Linus shook his head. As the home has been visited by caseworkers in the past, its inhabitants are worried about what Linus' presence could mean. So what if I, an adult, want to indulge in a daydream in which my Sword of Destiny is my good intentions, and believeeven for just a few hundred pages that if I wield it sincerely and earnestly enough, I can defeat deeply entrenched systemic issues of bigotry and discrimination in just a couple of weeks? Browse titles with similar subject matter. This book does include grown-up themes (such as romance, maltreatment of foster children) but with a gentleness that makes it accessible and appropriate for upper elementary and middle schoolers. enchanting story, masterfully told, The House in the Cerulean Sea is about the profound. And I understand why they did it. Now, while I am not white, I am also not an indigenous First Nation person either, and I dont think anyone should listen to me but just in case you are, I wish to say I believe one has to be deeply uncharitable to read such heinous crimes into Mr Klunes book. Not that that makes it any less fantastical. Its estimated that over 20,000 indigenous children were taken, and it wasnt until 2017 that the families of those affected reached a financial settlement with the Canadian government totaling over eight hundred million dollars. His novel Into This River I Drown won the Lambda Literary Award for Best Gay Romance in 2014. It is like being wrapped up in a big gay blanket. The story focuses on Linus Baker, longtime employee of the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. I think it is also important to believe that no matter how imperfect or flawed we are, we are still capable of making meaningful changes to the world we live in. [2] The book is about a man named Linus Baker who travels to Marsyas Island as a representative of the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. They only knew because he informed them, and I daresay some of his haters only learned about the Sixties Scoop and residential schools because he chose to use his platform to talk about it. On its own. Being queer. Linus Baker is a social worker in the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. This is why we have driven this gay man tothoughts of suicide? But, man, would it be worth encouraging you to give THITCS another try? Linus Baker leads a quiet, solitary life. Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. If you chose to provide an email address, it will only be used to contact you about your comment. To answer questions about The House in the Cerulean Sea , please sign up . Librarian insisted that this descriptor be added. But there arent any moving statues in this book. "The House in the Cerulean Sea" is a 2020 fantasy book that's still a popular bestseller. Poignant, funny medieval tale skewers ignorance, bigotry. *, *Subscribe with your email address to my blog (scroll all the way to the bottom of this page on mobile devices OR check the top right of this screen to enter your email address)*, *If you already have a blog, please follow mine*, *Like myFacebook page(and please comment on, like, and share my posts)*, *Clicking and buying products through my Amazon Affiliate links. I listened to it on audio, where the voiceover artist gave each character their own voice. Sorry it wasnt your thing. Strong spin-off is more violent than the others. Pick it back up and please finish it! Change). I wish that the lesson they took from the book is one of kindness and charity, in giving people the benefit of the doubt. However, the book is more nuanced than this suggests. There's a lot of ignorant prejudice directed against the kids in this story. This message is at the heart of The House in the Cerulean Sea. As a Case Worker at the Department in Charge Of Magical Youth, he spends his days overseeing the well-being of children in government-sanctioned orphanages. If you can distill a lovely day by the sea, your favourite song, and a warm hug by someone who loves you dearly into the form of a book, that book would be T. J. Klunes The House in the Cerulean Sea. He isnt taking up space, or trying to overshadow the voice of indigenous writers. Nor are people reading whatever they like into the book. A burning secret. I get written on, and I can never be used again. It was really well-written and heartfelt. In Summary of The House in the Cerulean Sea. As far as I can tell, Mr Klune is not fronting a specific story about First Nation people and neither is it marketed that way at all. Get me wet, and I melt. Why I Stopped Reading The House in the Cerulean Sea {TJ Klune}But You Shouldnt! document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. The House in the Cerulean Sea is a fantasy novel by TJ Klune, published in March 2020. The House in the Cerulean Sea Travis Klune 2021-09-16 An enchanting story, masterfully told, The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune is about the profound experience of discovering an unlikely family in an unexpected place - and realizing that family could be yours. His task, in theory: look into the well-being of the orphanage's six young residents. There are many villains in the world, and I remain unconvinced that T. J. Klune is one of them. The House in the Cerulean Sea. Follow. The House in the Cerulean Sea is a work of classic children's literature written for adults and children alike, with the perspective and delicacy of the modern day. Fuck realism. Take me in hardened hands, and I crumple. Common Sense is the nation's leading nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of all kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in the 21st century. I really liked the children characters, especially Lucy who could be both mischievous and vulnerable. Being queer himself, Klune believes it's importantnow more than everto have accurate, positive queer representation in stories. An enchanting story, masterfully told, The House in the Cerulean Sea is about the profound experience of discovering an unlikely family in an unexpected place--and realizing that family is yours. Anyway, just through Id offer another perspective. The House in the Cerulean Sea, Klune's first stand-alone novel published with the Macmillan Tor imprint, was partially inspired by the Sixties Scoop, where the Canadian government removed Indigenous children from their homes and placed them with unrelated white, middle-class families.

Holistic Cancer Treatment Centers In Texas, Attributeerror: Module 'pandas' Has No Attribute Datetools, Articles T