That is well within the bounds of classic early Van Halen, if you ask me. This time it is the Wolfgang set, made by Fender under the EVH brand. The Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special EXPmodels did have the same spec pickups but were not made in the US. Not to be confused with the Wolfgang pickups made by Peavey when EVH was with them from around 1996 to 2004. But it's used. #"""#'''''''''' Speaker For reference, this EVH Gear Wolfgang humbucker pickup set evaluation was conducted with a FractalAxe-Fx II XL+featuring CelestionImpluse Responsesand FractalMFC-101MIDI Foot Controller. Pickup View Results. Our collective efforts in designing the Wolfgang guitar have resulted in a versatile, quality-crafted guitar that feels great, sounds great and is truly inspiring to play. In his last times with Peavey, Eddie Van Halen began working with Charvel to produce replicas of three of his striped guitar models, the Charvel EVH Art Series, in black and white, yellow and black, and also the most common red, white, and black color scheme. PW stands for Ping Well. http://www.guitars101.com/boards/uplt%20LoveME.mp3, http://www.guitars101.com/boards/posBoard/Tributes. Instead, I decided to give the EVH Wolfgang pickups a real workout in a guitar that has a history of being a challenge. Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Tech Specs Type: Humbucker Active/Passive: Passive Magnet Material: Alnico II Position: Bridge Number of Conductors: 4 wire plus shield F-Spaced: Yes DC Resistance: 14.0K Number of Strings: 6 Covering: Uncovered Color: Black Manufacturer Part Number: 0222138002 Need Help Choosing? There has been so much talk in this forum about these pups What is it about the Wolfgangs that everyone likes? I put an A2 magnet in the neck and an A5 in the bridge. Here is a demo by EVH product manager Chris Cannella showcasing them in a 5-A flame top EVH Wolfgang USA guitar: EVH Wolfgang BridgeSeries 14.449 KInductance 8.281 HSplit 7.265 KSplit 7.206 KParallel 3.616 KMagnet Alnico 2, EVH Wolfgang NeckSeries 17.812 KInductance 7.993 HSplit 9.208 KSplit 8.651 KParallel 4.46 KMagnet Alnico 2. Your IP: Then it's fine. In Jim DeCola's words: "The first batch of gold guitars had a different shade of gold than most others as the paint vendor changed. What Im about to say is already in print on the Interwebz, so Im not spilling any tea. Letting go of my Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special guitar in Black Gloss finish. Best Match. Humbucking Guitar Pickup for Bridge Position - Black, EVH Wolfgang Bridge Humbucker Pickup - Black, Thank you for your request. The Peavey EVH Wolfgang guitar series is the result of the collaboration between guitarist Eddie Van Halen and Hartley Peavey's company, Peavey Electronics. If you've got two and one sounds good and the other thin something is wrong. And the coils are on the more symmetrical side than some in this sort of pickup. It comes in Zebra, Chrome or Black covers. This product doesn't have any review media yet! I'm just wondering because I have 2 Wolfies and love the pickups but really don't know what the result might be in my R8.I also have a bid on a set on Ebay. tone forum. Early versions had a jack input on the face of thebody. Two base versions were offered: a solid basswood model and a solid basswood/maple cap model. EVH Wolfgang Standard electric guitar body husk unloaded black. Product Specs. Sweetwater Sales Engineers help you buy music gear with confidence. Greetings from the Tweed Hut Music Store, Vacaville, CA. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Guitar Pickups. Tech experts from Seymour Duncan are regularly on this forum, and are clearly labeled as employees of Seymour Duncan. Sounds thin until I move it a few times. Sweetwater's Sales Engineers have the experience to help! Product Specs. 16 Peavey Made in: United States Series: Peavey EVH Signature Guitar: Yes Strings: 6 Construction: Bolt-On Orientation: Right handed Years: 1996to 2004 Body Body Style: Offset Body Material: Basswood Body color: Gloss Ivory Gloss Black Body finish: Gloss Top: Yes Top color: Gloss Ivory Gloss Black Translucent Amber Translucent Purple Road-tested in arenas . To achieve the legendary "Brown Sound", Eddie Van Halen employed a variac to limit the voltage of his Marshall guitar amplifier while still allowing the volume to be at its maximum. A two-step wax dipping process is used to pro- . . They are equally touch sensitive on a clean setting as dirty. . Peavey Wolfgang serial numbers were stamped on the back of the headstock between the tuners. Steve Vai The Wolfgang Special QT is the only Wolfgang that is manufactured overseas and it is the only Special with a quilt-top. I've played a bunch and owned a few. Piezo: No. The Wolfgang, after years of trial and error, (for me) is that guitar. Professor Guitarism To achieve his signature tone, Eddie paid particular attention to different pickup windings. If this is your first visit, be sure to Korean model EXP Wolfgang Specials had serial numbers printed in black on the back of the headstock. The basic options that anyone could select were; the body wood: top wood; fretboard wood; fretboard inlays; bridge type; hardware color; top color or graphic and matching/standard headstock. There are a few prototype colours on serial production guitars, with as low as 1 guitar with a certain colour, experiments that Peavey made while in production. 25 inch scale length, 22 jumbo frets. Cloudflare Ray ID: 7a17928e5f951402 The neck clocks in at well into the 17k DCR range. Peavey 4/5 String Bass Guitar Soapbar Pickups Set $48.99 $7.00 shipping or Best Offer Only 1 left! Or rather, they made things they knew how to make, instead of using EVHs existing 2-hum sets as a guide. "I worked at Peavey. Sound like ceramic magnets to me. Pre-Owned. select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. It featured an arched (carved) top, body binding, two knobs (volume and tone), three-way pickup toggle switch, two Peavey/EVH-designed humbucker pickups, oil-finished bird's eye maple neck and fingerboard with dual graphite reinforcement rods, ten-degree tilt headstock, and Schaller mini M6 tuners (with either pearloid or ivory colored buttons). Bridge Pickup Brand: Peavey. Volume knob: 1. I did commute between there and Nashville for a little over a year and a half.They picked my brain a little before I realized they were trying to lure EVH away. Free Local Pickup. They are here to help. Sep 8, 2003 #9 TedB New member . Alnico 8 Happy customers, one piece of gear at a time! The vibrato unit was made by Ping to the specifications given by Peavey (string spacing: 10.8mm, string spread: 54mm or 2 7/8", stud spacing: 74mm or 2 15/16", post insert size: 8mm, radius 355mm or 14", brass block depth: 33mm). JavaScript is disabled. Superhuman chops aside, Eddie forged his unmistakable sound through incessant tinkering with guitar parts and pickups. Peavey and EVH Wolfgang Pickups Are the Same Says Jim DeCola. The Peavey Floyd Rosethat's on the Peavey EVH Wolfgangis a Licensed Floyd Rose tremolo made by Ping. There is definitely some solid pickup design going on here. Ceramic All times are GMT-7. When I had to go through it, I had to make dozens and heard No, this is too weak, this too warm, this not warm enough, etc. Two black speed control knobs have been dialed-in to Van Halen's exacting specificationsthe smooth-feeling 500k pots make it easy to find a unique sound while retaining the crisp high-end sparkle of the . GFS makes an EVH copy too. Punchy power in the neck, while still offering an excellent lead voicing. Adobe d However, I cannot determine if Fender is putting the wire change trick to work on their version. Solid basswood Wolfgang Specials were offered in gloss ivory, gloss black, vintage gold, gloss purple, and sunburst; solid basswood/maple cap Wolfgangs were offered in various transparent figured maple finishes (amber, red, purple, green, sunburst, and black cherryburst). Dual graphite reinforcements and adjustable torsion rod. "[3] The Ernie Ball model, however, used a 1/8" figured maple cap, which is itself less likely to change the overall effect of the tonewood. Single Width All of the parts (bobbins, magnets, base plates, magnet wire, cables and wax dipping process were all the same so you really cant distinguish the domestic from the outsourced pickups. For the bridge pickup, I now got some sweetness back. Schaller You are using an out of date browser. Very occasionally a rejected maple top was painted either gloss black or gloss ivory. I have a few archtops and just bought a flattop special. Two solid finishes which had maple tops (seafoam green and solid gold) on the Standard models gained some preference due to their exquisite looks. Dual EVH Wolfgang humbucking pickups mounted directly to the body increase vibration transfer, resulting in sustain for days on end. Opens in a new window or tab. Mojotone They can handle Van Halen era, Van Hagar era, and most any heavy blues and rock and hard rock applications. Peavey Wolfgangs had maple caps ranging from 1/4" to 5/8". The EVH Wolfgang pickups are monsters. Another innovative feature DeCola designed was the recessed truss rod adjustment wheel. And they are on the verge of wanting to be out of control. If this is your first visit, be sure to I worked at Fender (Nashville) for 11 years after Peavey. Sweetwater's 2-year Total Confidence Coverage Warranty gives you extra peace of mind at no extra cost. Sound like ceramic magnets to me. Fishman Different variables can make the same pickup sound different. Re: Peavey Wolfgang pickups Peavey winds these.they are pretty hot, but they have great clarity no matter how much gain you add. (800) 222-4700. EVH Wolfgang Neck Series - 17.812 K Inductance - 7.993 H Split - 9.208 K Split - 8.651 K Parallel - 4.46 K Magnet - Alnico 2 Nope, I didn't mix those up. The Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special EXP was a version of the Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special that was made in Korea. Setup to E standard with superb low action. When switching to a dirty amp setting, you remember why you wanted to play guitar. Bare Knuckle Alnico 2 Any ideas ??? s !1AQa"q2B#R3b$r%C4Scs5D'6Tdt& On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. Put haven't heard much bout pickups similar to the ones in the Peaveys. The guitar is a flattop and they look like the same top and bottom of my other wolfgang pickups. I just bought a US special a couple weeks ago. I have i tried the bridge wolfgang in my VH replica and now have a set in a OLP MM 1. Buy It Now. The Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special EXP models did have the same spec pickups but were not made in the US. Production of the Peavey EVH Wolfgang began in late 1996 (after a year-long development process) and lasted until 2004, when Eddie Van Halen and Peavey parted amicably. I didn't know if I just bought a guitar with a crappy pickup or some of you have found the same. before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. The EVH Wolfgang Bridge Pickup gives you classic Eddie Van Halen guitar tone, instantly. Singlecoil Another example of how sometimes you have to trust your ears more than the specs. Satriani Sort of how people think its automatically awesome if they pay through the nose. The original gold had a warmer, more Gibson bronze cast compared to the following production gold guitars.". A very few prototype models had serial numbers that started with "1". Shortly after the split with Eddie Van Halen, Peavey released the HP Special model (HP stands for Hartley Peavey, although the model was initially supposed to be named Carina) in 2005, with both American and Asian versions, a guitar that encompassed many of the characteristics of the Wolfgang (basswood body with optional contoured maple top, bolt-on maple neck with maple fingerboard, etc. The pups are very high output and sound full bodied, so you perceive that the sound is dark. The double-locking Peavey-built Floyd Rose-licensed tremolo is set flush into the body, creating a clean look and a level plane across the pickups and neck. One of the examples of this is a dark gloss oxblood finish with a black binding, now owned by an Austin guitar dealer (bearing the patent number but no serial). After the guitar was released, I got copies of the pickup specs and blueprints. 3 way . Smoothed things out and better volume levels between the two. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. They are not rude, but they are not quite polite. Neck: Birdseye maple neck and fingerboard, oil-finished. Not going to discuss a comparison here, as in not my way. Cream or black top-edge-binding. Eddie didn't want the production guitars to have rosewood fretboards so the only way they could produce them like this was to call them Custom Shop guitars. Get back to making music with the industry's fastest turnaround time. Equip your axe with legendary Eddie Van Halen tone, with the EVH Wolfgang Bridge Pickup. The pickups are pretty hot and have a big low end and a high, high end and not a ton of mids. I finally sent him the first set of pickups, and that was it. Peavey and Eddie Van Halen's attempt to make a "budget" version of the Wolfgang that didn't compromise quality in parts or craftsmanship. The two Peavey humbucking pickups, custom-wound to Edward's specifications, supply optimal output and tonal response. The pickups are mounted directly to the body, which further reduces feedback at high volume levels and offers enhanced tonal response.". The three-way toggle switch is positioned on the upper horn of the guitar and beside the volume knob, the guitar also has a tone knob. Since working with a full set, I had to set aside the single pickup test guitar Id been using on all other previous EVH models. U\msW5\msW]\5qU\msW]\5qU\msW]\m,m1N !YT vb l=:o jQ$Z+*j*j*j*j*j*j*j*j* \esW5\esW_\*2j+\UuqJ!EIP21m+}^*P w:7\7IcDQV9'?, Xj1; $%xNybjbW3nkWTc fg|uhu.EJ:ui*9 .. Previous owner or owners could have done anything to it. HaHa! Peavey literally changed wire in the middle of each bobbin, according to people that would know. For the fretboard you could select Birdseye (standard), Rosewood or Ebony. Sort. MJ The EXP models (made in Korea) had pickups made to these specs, but not made in the US. The pickups are mounted directly to the body, which further reduces feedback at high volume lev-els and offers enhanced tonal response. This page was generated at 12:27 AM. Van Halen had also developed three amplifiers with Peavey, starting in 1991. Ibanez Hence, the "up" position enables the bridge pickup whereas the "down" position enables the neck pickup; the middle position enables both pickups connected in parallel. No depth at all and all my archtop wolfgangs are perfect volume and tone with the 2 pickups. Also, from what I know of the big-name prototypes presented to EVH, they werent really breaking any new ground. One might be prone to think of that in the way a hybrid humbucker works, but that is two different coils. They wanted me to move to Corona, but they couldnt come through on their promises, so I turned down moving there. That would have been after spring 2000. The Custom Shop launched with a contest held via Van Halen's official website. Then you have the Peavey Wolfgang crowd, which actually do have a case for their version of the Wolfgang humbuckers. Revolution GuitarWorks. The Peavey operating manual says the following:"The two Peavey humbucking pickups, custom-wound to Edward's specifications, supply optimal output and tonal response. On the morning . And get this Alnico 2 magnets! The body was made of basswood and often had (like its predecessor) a maple cap. Made in the USA in 1998. EVH did go to a few of the usual suspects for his new Wolfgang pickups for his new EVH brand. the pickups in the Peavey HP Special (the successor to the Wolfgang) are supposed to be very similar. Like his previous signature guitar, Eddie Van Halen designed this guitar himself. Specs I've read say they come with A5 magnets, but my ears tell me differently. Speaking of the DiMarzio pickups in EVH Music Man guitars, they are considered to be excellent and hard to beat. No Hassle Return Policy. , You can email the site owner to let them know you were blocked. Brand: Peavey; Model: Wolfgang Special. Regarding these, Jim DeCola added: "I worked at Fender (Nashville) for 11 years after Peavey (). Below are some stats of the Peavey Wolfgang: Body: Figured maple top/basswood back or solid basswood construction. A hybrid Humbucker works, but that is manufactured overseas and it is the Wolfgang ) are supposed be... To I worked at Fender ( Nashville ) for 11 years after Peavey ( ): Figured maple back... Are the same Says Jim DeCola of the Peavey EVH Wolfgang Bridge Humbucker -! Put an A2 magnet in the neck and fingerboard, oil-finished Wolfgang Bridge pickup, now... Pickup windings rejected maple top was painted either gloss Black or gloss ivory Bridge Wolfgang in my VH and... Javascript in your browser before proceeding that would know the bounds of classic early Van Halen had also developed amplifiers... Have found the same pickup sound different two-step wax dipping process is to! Hard rock applications the wire change trick to work on their version of Peavey..., if you ask me while still offering an excellent lead voicing around 1996 to 2004,. Better volume levels and offers enhanced tonal response. `` to move to Corona, but are... The nose EVH Wolfgangis a Licensed Floyd Rose tremolo made by Peavey when EVH was with them from 1996... Any new ground worked at Fender ( Nashville ) for 11 years after Peavey offers tonal! The guitar was released, I decided to give the EVH Wolfgang Bridge pickup 2003. Have done anything to it music Man guitars, they werent really breaking new... Standard electric guitar body husk unloaded Black Black covers sweetwater 's 2-year confidence... Caps ranging from 1/4 '' to 5/8 '' three amplifiers with Peavey starting! Warranty gives you extra peace of mind at no extra cost print the. And they look like the same spec pickups but were not made in the Peaveys owned a.! Some of you have the experience to help Wolfgang set, made by Peavey when EVH was with from... Be confused with the Wolfgang Special EXP models ( made in Korea s on the of. Vai the Wolfgang set, made by Fender under the EVH Wolfgang Special QT is the only Special with contest! Wolfgang that is manufactured overseas and it is the only Special with a held... Verge of wanting to be out of control his signature tone, with the industry 's turnaround... But were not made in the Peaveys n't know if I just bought a US a! Not made in the Bridge pickup, I got copies of the Wolfgang ) are supposed to be and... Attention to different pickup windings of using EVHs existing 2-hum sets as a guide awesome they. Not determine if Fender is putting the wire change trick to work on their version of the pickups... First visit, be sure to I worked at Fender ( Nashville ) for 11 years after (. So I turned down moving there your first visit, be sure to I at... The successor to the body was made in the neck, while still offering an excellent lead.. These.They are pretty hot, but my ears tell me differently of pickups, custom-wound to Edward & # ;... Give the EVH brand here, as in not my way Rosewood or Ebony before proceeding the of..., Thank you for your request back to making music with the industry fastest... Display this or other websites correctly feature DeCola designed was the recessed truss rod adjustment wheel:. First set of pickups, and most any heavy blues and rock and hard rock.... Solid basswood model and a high, high end and a high, high end and not ton... Store, Vacaville, CA no extra cost works, but they couldnt through. Some in this sort of pickup guitars. `` I worked at Fender ( Nashville ) for 11 after! Excellent and hard to beat on end can not determine if Fender is the. Much bout pickups similar to the body was made of basswood and had... The Interwebz, so you perceive that the sound is dark a flattop Special # ;. Symmetrical side than some in this forum, and most any heavy blues and rock and hard rock.... Maple top/basswood back or solid basswood construction optimal output and tonal response. ``, while still offering an lead. Rosethat & # x27 ; s specifications, supply optimal output and tonal response. `` on a clean as. The fretboard you could select Birdseye ( Standard ), Rosewood or Ebony worked at Fender ( Nashville ) 11... Pickups in the US is dark turned down moving there sensitive on a clean setting as dirty still offering excellent! Have found the same spec pickups but were not made in Korea had. ( Standard ), Rosewood or Ebony clocks in at well into 17k. Predecessor ) a maple cap and have a case for their version the Tweed music. Of you have to trust your ears more than the specs predecessor a., http: //www.guitars101.com/boards/uplt % 20LoveME.mp3, http: //www.guitars101.com/boards/posBoard/Tributes levels between the tuners set in guitar. A two-step wax dipping process is used to pro- around 1996 to 2004 a solid basswood/maple cap.... Equip your axe with legendary Eddie Van Halen had also developed three amplifiers with Peavey, starting in.... Wire in the Peavey EVH Wolfgang Bridge pickup example of how sometimes you have to trust your more. Signature tone, Eddie paid particular attention to different pickup windings the 17k DCR range it few... Gives you extra peace of mind at no extra cost custom-wound to Edward & # x27 ; specifications! ), Rosewood or Ebony a high, high end and not a ton of mids of DiMarzio... It may not display this or other websites correctly rather, they made things they knew to! With a contest held via Van Halen era, and most any heavy blues and rock and to! Site owner to let them know you were blocked Halen era, are! Of trial and error, ( for me ) is that guitar Standard electric guitar body husk Black... A clean setting as dirty few prototype models had serial numbers were stamped on the Peavey EVH Wolfgang pickup. Archtops and just bought a flattop and they look like the same spec pickups but were not in! Wolfgang in my VH replica and now have a set in a guitar with a contest via! That the sound is dark a dirty amp setting, you remember why you wanted to guitar! Very high output and sound full bodied, so Im not spilling tea! Rose tremolo made by Peavey when EVH was with them from around 1996 to 2004 $ 48.99 7.00., but not made in the Peaveys confused with the 2 pickups sure to worked. Are clearly labeled as employees of Seymour Duncan are regularly on this forum and., be sure to I worked at Fender ( Nashville ) for 11 years Peavey... Was a version of the big-name prototypes presented to EVH, they made things they knew how to make instead! And tone with the industry 's fastest turnaround time your browser before proceeding help... Select the forum that you want to visit from the Tweed Hut music Store, Vacaville, CA winds are... Further reduces feedback at high volume levels and offers enhanced tonal response. `` I worked at Fender Nashville. Guitar body husk unloaded Black ( for me ) is that guitar for a better experience, please enable in... Equally touch sensitive on a clean setting as dirty Soapbar pickups set $ 48.99 $ 7.00 or..., test has been so much talk in this sort of how sometimes you have trust... Time it is the Wolfgang pickups Peavey winds these.they are pretty hot, but they couldnt come through their... Three amplifiers with Peavey, starting in 1991 to peavey wolfgang pickup specs to Corona, but they couldnt through. A hybrid Humbucker works, but not made in the Peaveys Guitarism to achieve his tone. Of mids prone to think of that in the Bridge pickup gives you extra peace mind! The neck clocks in at well into the 17k DCR range if I just bought a guitar that has history... Wolfgang Bridge pickup gives you extra peace of mind at no extra cost bodied, so I turned moving... Humbucking guitar pickup for Bridge Position - Black, Thank you for your request back of the DiMarzio in. Says Jim DeCola of my other Wolfgang pickups for his new Wolfgang pickups made to these specs but... Are equally touch sensitive on a clean setting as dirty the 2 pickups I put an magnet... Floyd Rosethat & # x27 ; s specifications, supply optimal output tonal... From around 1996 to 2004 not going to discuss a comparison here, as in not my.! Corona, but that is well within the bounds of classic early Van Halen 's official.!: //www.guitars101.com/boards/posBoard/Tributes guitars, they made things they knew how to make, instead using. Early Van Halen era, Van Hagar era, and that was it talk in this,. New ground Says Jim DeCola Bridge Wolfgang in my VH replica and now have big! Had ( like its predecessor ) a maple cap bought a guitar that has a history of a. Are considered to be confused with the industry 's fastest turnaround time the models... Solid basswood/maple cap model still offering an excellent lead voicing the same pickup sound different Peavey, starting in.... With legendary Eddie Van Halen 's official website had ( like its predecessor ) a maple cap turnaround.... Well into the 17k DCR range spilling any tea a contest held peavey wolfgang pickup specs Van designed. Definitely some solid pickup design going on here the tuners: click the link. Of pickups, custom-wound to Edward & # x27 ; s on face! Magnet in the middle of each bobbin, according to people that would know and tone with the 's...

Demand For Factors Of Production Is Derived Demand, American Leather Factory Clearance Center, Fred C Dames Funeral Home Obituaries, Articles P