Reservations must be made at least 2 days in advance of the trip start. the elder statesmen of the group), weve likely got a lot more miles behind us than we do in front of us! The wildflower meadows here are extremely fragile, especially given how many visitors come to the park. Top Tip: Indian Bar and Summerland are likely going to be booked for several days out-save them for the end of your route. Without a doubt, Moraine Parkwith Moraine Creek, wildflowers, and incredible views of the Mountainwas a highlight. After the heat of the day and the long climb, the cool mountain lake water simply utter and complete bliss! Thanks for the great guide as usual Swami! As it ended up, both forks of the river are safely bridged now and it was an easy crossing. For a 2-week hike, you can cut the mileage down to about 7 miles per day. There was even a resident marmot who ignored us as he stood on his haunches, pulled on a flower stem, and then devoured the flower. Total Elevation Gain & Loss: More than 46,000 ft (14,021 m). The One Subscription to Fuel All Your Adventures. In 2019 I completed the trail in 3 nights/4 days, with multiple 26+ mile days. The highest point in the trail is at 6,750 feet (Panhandle Gap), which doesnt melt out until late June or early July, so hikers attempting the route before midsummer will need to be prepared for snow travel. Get my Superhuman Body podcast series now. When we arrived, Rachel was soaking her feet in the creek and she shared that two humongous blisters were troubling her. Pain and Suffering: Wonderland Trail in 3 Days, Wonderland Trail 2010: the "selfie" 3 day hike, Wonderland Trail in 3 Days: Jul 20-22/2021 (#33). When Hikers Die, Why Are We So Quick to Judge. #, Some great dirt and some mud! One of the park's most popular day hikes is the 11.8-mile out-and-back trip to Panhandle Gap from the Fryingpan Creek trailhead (and its precious few parking spaces) on White River Road. Super-versatile Insulation layer for cold/wet weather and base layer for deep winter conditions. Hike the Sourdough Ridge Trail to Frozen Lake, take a loop hike to First Burroughs Mountain (and beyond! When my alarm rang at 5 a.m., I drank another bottle of water. I was under the impression that I wouldnt, but you do need a reservation for each site according to the ranger that helped me. Rainier's Wonderland Trail. Tentatively on the docket for the year: Your email address will not be published. We pushed into a run to get out of there and soon arrived at Indian Henrys Hunting Ground. Wei. Hiking the Wonderland Trail around Mt. Helps keep the mud out of my trail runners. Here, the river had carved a new channel the day before, and we had to rock hop and finally just walk through the water to get to the bridge over the main channel. There are so many things I could have done during this hour, and in retrospect theyre obvious (hydrate, eat, find shade and a cooler place). Two books I recommend are Hiking the Wonderland Trail: The Complete Guide to Mount Rainier's Premier Trailby Tami Asars (2012) and Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail: Encircling Mount Rainier by Bette Filley (2006 edition). There, Elly was waiting to accompany us the final 5 miles back to Longmire. Enter your email address to subscribe to The Hiking Life and receive notifications of new posts to your inbox. Hike the Wonderland Trail around Washington's highest volcano: Mt. River guide. DAYS OUT IN DORSET Joy Parsons 1981 1st PB illust. In descending order of popularity, they are as follows: 1. Correspondence (12 lin. Mountain views. They said they would give us each a life vest from their gear, but that the thin nylon rope and the life vest were no guarantees of our safety: the rope would probably break if we fell and our heads would probably be bashed by rocks before the vests could save us. Marmots.. There are three main trailhead options that have both camping and parking. Day 4: 13.7 miles to Devil's Dream campsite. Ex.Con. Oh! Adjust individual days in the generated itinerary below. Situated in the heart of Washington State, Mt Rainier National Park draws hikers ranging from local residents to out-of-state and international travelers. So, I got my book in the other day, Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail by Bette Filley and it has gotten my wheels turning. Pass the White River Campground and pick up the trail as it follows Fryingpan Creek up to Summerland. system, open mid February to early March every year. At Box Canyon, we marveled at all the people and cars and used flush toilets and washed our hands with soap and water. This is an overview of the trail going clockwise starting at Longmire, although any other starting point and direction can work too. A Brief History of the Wonderland Trail Not that the adventure started out as film fodder. Required fields are marked *. This time when we invited her to join us, she jumped at the offer, and we were once again a group of seven. When our friend, Marna, did the Wonderland last year, the Mowich bridge was out and it made for a sketchy crossing. Enjoy another rich meadow before descending back into the forest to the South Puyallup River Camp. As we waited, the day continued to warm and my earlier Sunrise-or-bust attitude started to tear me apart. Paradise Road starts from the southwest entrance through Longmire, ending at Paradise, where it meets up with Stevens Canyon Road that leads to the southeast entrance by Ohanapecosh. Did the WT late September and it was as good as it gets. Create a personalized feed and bookmark your favorites. Its got one of the most photogenic views of Rainier with an open subalpine meadow and a lovely ranger patrol cabin to bring you back in time. Below, we offer a sample itinerary to maximize the best campsites, averaging 5-10 miles each day. But, I was frustrated about the bridge situation, I was a little scared, and I just wanted to keep going. Imagine exploring both rainforests and vibrant mountain meadows within just a few miles on the same trail, all with a glacier-capped volcano rising in the background. Adjustable declination and globally balanced needle. For this I am thankful and look forward to next years Wonderland Trail Hike #34, whatever form that may take. The majority of hikers. To start planning, first determine how far you and your group are capable of hiking with a heavy overnight pack. Its about 8 miles, with 1500 feet gain and 2100 loss, to Golden Lakes, our next major landmark. The area was named after Sotolik, known as Indian Henry, to those who sought him out as a guide. Felpudo, RichP, zimmertr. In the northeast corner, the Sunrise Entrance has a few spots to access the Wonderland Trail, by the Sunrise Visitor Center and lower on the road by White River Campground. There was no way I was going to be able to continue the next day. Get your weekly dose of Feel Good Friday! The Wonderland Trail climbs and falls 23,000 feet over those 93 miles. about Cougar Rock Cougar Rock is a frontcountry car campground, so it doesn't use the Rainier backcountry campsite reservation system. (Thank you to my mother-in-law, Nancy, whod made my favorite chili chicken with rice. Monday, July 30: Drive to Longmire, start on the Wonderland Trail at 6:01 a.m., arrive at Mowich Lake at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 31: Leave Mowich Lake at 6:30 a.m., arrive at Sunrise Visitor Center around 5:45 p.m. (in time for burgers!) At the bottom of the ridge, youll end up at Nickel Creek and another section of forest. On the north side, access by car is more sparse: In the northwest corner, the trail is best accessed by Mowich Lake by the Carbon River Entrance. Stage: 93 Miles, 3-Day . Wonderland Trail in 3 Days (#34): Sep 7-9/2022 September 12, 2022 My annual Wonderland trek is more than just a hike; it's a life event where I immerse myself in the surroundings and go through all the ups and downs (literally), the highs and the lows, the elation and downright pure suffering that comes with such long days. I crossed at 5:30 AM with mid shin depth, but one report from 8 PM had the water over the cable. There are no words. Most of my past Wonderland hikes have been in the fall, so this circuit in July provided some significant contrasts. It was along this descent that Heidi stepped on a loose rock the wrong way and was suddenly sliding off the trail. Sign up for Outside+ today. Last year in my video of hike #32 I made the statement maybe these 3 day hikes will become untenable. Wonderland Trail hike at a glance Location: Mount Rainier National Park Distance: 96-mile loop Elevation: 25,341 feet Difficulty Rating: Extremely challenging Timing: 6-8 days Pets: No Permits: Wilderness permits required for camping overnight in the park View the trail notes The next section through the North Puyallup River Camp might be best as an autumn hike, with blueberry bushes to snack on within the forest and mountain ash turning a spectacular golden yellow. 2. The Wonderland Gambit is a trilogy by Jack Chalker. Elly, Angel, and Tim quickly caught up with us, and it made for cheery conversation to catch up with them. We finally hit the descent to Nickels Creek, and moaned about our feet as we worked our way downhill. The Wonderland Trail is 150 km of mostly single track that circumnavigates Mount Rainier with over 7,230 metres (23,700 feet) of cumulative elevation gain (plus equal loss of course). For a 2-week hike, you can cut the mileage down to about 7 miles per day. Recent upgrade over my old Samsung Galaxy S7. ), or head to the Mount Fremont Lookout. I talked to Wendy, who was limping through camp in her flip-flops, and I felt terribly for her. The Wonderland Trail first departs Longmire into the forest, taking you past Rampart Ridge. We popped out on the road and felt a sense of dislocation with the sudden change of scenery, but quickly returned to the forest for more climbing. This was just one of several overgrown sections on day one. I judge myself to be in decent shape from hiking, biking and skiing. At one point, it crosses a creek and then ascend an evil set of stairs. The lake is a welcome sight with Old Desolate, a lonely mountain towering 1,000 feet above the lake, making for a slight change in background. Be sure to check the, received its fitting moniker a century ago to the year (1920) when, The requests are then processed in random order, meaning that there is no guarantee of success. Zillow has 2197 homes for sale. The entire collection centers on the passion of Aleson for the Colorado River. If you want to apply for an advance permit, you must apply online on the wilderness permit reservation system. Thanks for sharing.on my bucket list for sure.. I highly recommend eating at, , located just down the road from Longmire Wilderness Information Center (. Be careful crossing the river. Redirecting to /r/WildernessBackpacking/comments/tu41vu/wonderland_trail_how_do_you_create_a_multiday/i32e3rn (308) Wander through a dense forest of fir, spruce and hemlock as you climb through to the Summerland Camp, where the trees become sparse again and green grass carpets the ground. Simply put, the Wonderland Trail should be on every backpacker's bucket list. They drove us to Longmire and we took all the obligatory group photos, and then we were off. And then suddenly we were at Louise Lake! Check your email to get access! (The ridge is also a great additional 1.5 mi detour starting from Longmire for more views of Rainier.) The, : Yes. Late September 2003. Spring is also tricky since the large amount of snowmelt creates extreme flows that can damage bridges and trails, which will need to be fixed by a trail crew before visitors can safely pass. 2.99 + 2.69 Postage. However, it would be a wait before they could complete the work. 3. This news definitely affected our outlooks. It was clear to me that my trip was up. My totals were 101 miles with over 25,000 of climb for the 3 days. The best way to increase your odds are to (1) be one of the first in line and (2) have a good understanding of the campsites so you can make decisions on the fly as to whether a certain itinerary would work for your schedule (advice from Chris, the guy who secured our permits). Its amazing! My worst experience on the Wonderland Trail was three days in which it didn't stop raining for even a minute. They were some of the longest, most demoralizing miles of my life. YOU'RE IN!!! Great, informative article as always Cam, and Id be highly amuzed to know how many miles the 4 of you, (mentioned in this piece), have hiked cumulatively!? Adjust accordingly to mitigate surprises. Ex.Con. There was lots of discussion about the pros and cons of starting points and directions, but ultimately we chose to start and end at Longmire and to go clockwise. There is often more availability for partial Wonderland Trail backpacking trips. Then I drank another bottle of water and went back to sleep. Time: 3-14 days. However, you can still get there by bike, and I think itd be a worthwhile day trip to ride up to the South Puyallup Trail and hike up to Emerald Ridge. to help you prepare. This years big adventure destination landed squarely in our Pacific Northwest backyard: seven of usKari, Kelli, Wendy, Heidi, Sarah, Vivian, and Idecided to go around Mt. The Wonderland Trail in 3 Days (Day 1) - AllAroundJoe The Wonderland Trail in 3 Days (Day 1) September 10, 2013 By Joe Bauer 0 Comments With the Wonderland Trail behind me and the soreness still lingering in my legs I write you this story about our 3 day, 93 mile journey around Mt Rainier. Its higher, tougher, and more scenic than the official trail. My trip would never have happened if it were just me out there, alone and without purpose. If you choose to explore the Wonderland Trail on a multi-day trip, youll need a wilderness permit to use any of the 18 campsites right next to the trail. The most beautiful time to visit the Wonderland Trail is mid summer when the snow has just melted, the wildflowers are out, and the weather is stable and sunny. Interested in a celebratory meal after completing the Wonderland Trail? Best Multi-Day Hikes in USA National Parks. 3 Best Day Hikes on the Wonderland Trails. Experience this 30.6-mile loop trail near Paradise Inn, Washington. For the average backpacker, a longer trip will be a more pleasant way to enjoy this park. It was delicious!) My thoughts remain with the man who died and especially with his son, who witnessed everything. Day 3: White River to Longmire, 32 Miles, Elevation +6,800'/ -5,900' If waking up on day 3 of a Wonderland the thought of with 31 miles still ahead doesn't make you question your capacity/sanity, you are superhuman. I grew hotter and I started not to feel well. Trip Report: Wonderland Trail in 3 Days Trip Report Where: Wonderland Trail When: September 20-22 2020 Distance: 93 Miles, 25,000 ft of gain Conditions: Mild. The bugs seemed happy, though. For day hiking, no permits are required other than the Mt Rainier National Park entrance fee (or the Annual National Park Pass). Hand Sanitizer (repackaged in a dropper bottle). Thanks! After some discussion, most of us felt confident about going, but not everyone. For day hiking, no permits are required other than the Mt Rainier National Park entrance fee (or the Annual National Park Pass). For my almost 40 years in the park the stats for the Wonderland have been 93 miles with 22,000 of climb/descent; this is what I based my days on. I sometimes question the accuracy of Strava but I mention it here for people who are using these tools for tracking. Fun little sketchy section on Between Two Ferns These include the Nisqually, Puyallup, Mowich, Carbon, West Fork, Huckleberry, White, Ohanapecosh, and Muddy Fork rivers. Good food, great service, reasonable prices, and big portions; who would have thought there would be a Traditional Sherpa-Burger Joint fusion restaurant so close to Mount Rainier!! Our dates ended up being at the tail end of a week-plus of high temps for the region, and our first two days were pretty toasty. There was a work crew on the other side of the river, and they were there to install a railing to make the crossing safer. Given its hydrological preeminence, its no surprise that one of the regions native tribes, the Puyallup people, refer to the mountain as Talol or Tahoma, which translates to mother of waters.. Its a jaw-dropping airy crossing above the glacial melt river and the swinging bridge is not for the faint of heart. These include the Nisqually, Puyallup, Mowich, Carbon, West Fork, Huckleberry, White, Ohanapecosh, and Muddy Fork rivers. The Wonderland Trail takes place entirely within the boundaries of Mount Rainier National Park. Most people hike the entire trail in about ten days, and the Park Service allows up to fourteen days to complete the trail. Avalanche lilies along the Wonderland Trail. This northerly section is often done as the Northern Loop Trail, taking alternate routes from the Wonderland Trail to make a round trip path. Those things always happen so quickly, and luckily she slid into a tree which stopped her downhill progress. I encountered a fair number of blowdowns, some requiring crotch -stretching-bark burning gyrations to get around or under behemoth trees. Happy Hiking! 2.99 + 2.95 Postage. Goodness! Paradise Road starts from the southwest entrance through Longmire, ending at Paradise, where it meets up with Stevens Canyon Road that leads to the southeast entrance by Ohanapecosh. Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:44 am. (Mountaineers Books) Also available in Kindle; 2. Sunrise/White River, and; 3. Wed descend to the bottom of Stevens Canyon and then ascend to Reflection Lakes near Paradise. 2:30 PM A Man, A Mouse, The Magic, 2023 Disney Movies. Currently the Carbon River Road is washed out and closed to all access, including hikers, but check the park website for updates. Deserts, jungles, mountains or coast; Ive never had a preference. I highly recommend eating at Wildberry restaurant, located just down the road from Longmire Wilderness Information Center (7.6 mi / 14 minutes drive). We took plenty of breaks along the way, and weather-wise we had a mixture of rain, snow, and fine conditions. One-armed blind folks can sew better than me. Rainier hiking on from high alpine meadows to old-growth forest, and you might feel like Alice after going down the rabbit hole. . . 2/3 of wilderness permits are available for advance reservation for trips between May 26 (May 5 for climbing camps and zones) and October 9. Founder & CEO - Karina Safari, professional adventure travel organizer and team leader since 2011. Tasmania, Scotland, New Zealand) / Not too thick/not too thin, warmer than synthetic equivalents when damp. Mowich River Camp-31.64 miles/8,198..Day 3: So. Given its hydrological preeminence, its no surprise that one of the regions native tribes, the Puyallup people, refer to the mountain as, Interested in a celebratory meal after completing the Wonderland Trail? Eunice Lake below is teeming with wildflowers. I can only strive to give back to them as they give to me. "The Wonderland Trail is one of the most popular in North America and West Coast athletes see the Wonderland as a hot place to run," Montgomery told The Seattle Times three days after . - Listen to Q&A #1: Pros & Cons of Sharing Hike on Social Media, How to Intergrate into the Hiking World, Timberline Trail vs. Tahoe Rim Trail by Backpacker Radio instantly on your tablet, phone or browser - no downloads needed. Once we passed Mike and my previous turnaround point, we were back again in unknown territory until we reach Old Desolate above Mystic Lake. The Wonderland Trail measures in somewhere around 93 miles. Very comfy / Doubles as makeshift framesheet for pack / Put feet on backpack when sleeping. The average thru-run of the Wonderland Trail takes about 3 days, and averages around 31 miles a day. Day 2: Mowich Lake to White River Campground. Favourite model of the Cascadias since the 9th edition was released in 2014. Just a short few minutes walk further and take a look at the unique Devils Pipe Organ, a conglomerate of columnar lava cliffs. White Rabbit Chronicles (2012 - 2019) is a series by Gena Showalter. Angel, Tim, and Elly headed back down toward Summerland and their cars, and we headed onward. Monday, July 30: Drive to Longmire, start on the Wonderland Trail at 6:01 a.m., arrive at Mowich Lake at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 31: Leave Mowich Lake at 6:30 a.m., arrive at Sunrise Visitor Center around 5:45 p.m. (in time for burgers!) The longer days meant I spent most of my trail time sans headlamp, putting in 14-15 hour days. The trail was often overgrown, which just seems to add a bit of misery when youre already hot and sweaty. It is a stunningly beautiful trail that oscillates between deep, volcanic valleys, dense forests of old growth trees and high alpine parks and ridges. The temperatures were mild but not too cold at night; my minimalist fastpack kit was just right for the conditions. The flower show was sometimes astounding, with entire meadows carpeted with avalanche lilies and hillsides bursting with myriad colors. Instead of the typical pattern of walking up and over a ridge, this time, you get to spend a few miles with Rainier as the main backdrop. Your email address will not be published. As you continue past the field of purple lupine flowers surrounding Squaw Lake, youll quickly find yourself at Indian Henrys Hunting Grounds. Our climbing was essentially done! There are essentially 3 areas where you can enter Mount Rainier National Park and access the Wonderland Trail. Another downside: trail maintenance on the west side of the mountain was lacking. A trail that could be cruel and giving. Use the Wilderness Trip Planner to help you sketch out your trip. So, when we got there, we decided to wait for the group to be whole again so we could be assured of everyones safety. That's exactly what the Wonderland Trail is: a 93-mile (150 km) trek around Mt Rainier, the most glaciated peak in the lower 48 states. Each time, Ive wanted to see more, experience more, of this wonder: a trail that goes around Mt. Iand the othershad been very attentive to our hydration, food, and electrolytes all day and it had paid off. Frequently foggy but no rain. Liz Thomas hiking through Spray Park | Late September 2014. None of us wanted to leave, but all of us wanted to get to Mowich at some point that evening, so we resigned ourselves to putting back on our shoes and packs and heading out. . Ultimately, all of us crossed. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); The Hiking Life is a compilation of tips and advice on trip planning, lightweight backpacking techniques, and improving your wilderness skill set. Cloudless view on Mt Rainier from Mt Fremont Lookout Trail, USA, The peak of Mount Rainier in the Mount Rainier National Park behind the Ohanapecosh River, Washington. Hike on. (, Hiking the Wonderland Trail: The Complete Guide to Mount Rainiers Premier Trail. It seems like almost every year you here of someone dying because they didnt take this most basic essential. Mowich Lake. The remaining 1/3 of permits are issued on-site on a first-come, first-served basis. Wonderland Trail Overview. Day 6: 9.9 miles to Indian Bar campsite. For the entire trip, we clocked in a total of 34 miles, 9,967 feet of ascent, 10,001 feet of descent and countless memories. You guys are all the BEST! Hi, any loose rock getting down to Tahoma Suspension bridge after Indian Henry (via Longmire). I talked about this in my prior post, but getting going on this adventure was tough mentally for me. , and; 3. Ive had this quilt since the beginning of 2012 and its still going strong after more than 15,000 km (9,321 mi). ), take a break at the aqua-blue St Andrews Lake at mile 18, then head on to Klapatche, one of the most beautiful campsites around Rainier, which boasts another green-blue lake with that subalpine view of Rainier. Tips for Preventing and Treating Tick Bites, Trail Runners Vs. She gave each of us a wonderful hug, and seriously it was like a smile in my soul! The South Mowich River crossing was still lacking a bridge, requiring a ford (assisted by a steel cable strung across). My feet were hot and sore and felt blistered. Clearly salt was still high on the body-needs-this list. You decide. You are constantly either going up or going down. Sometimes a log bridge will take you across and other times, you may need to pick your way through the silty rocks. This section ascends just under 2000 feet over 3ish miles, and it becomes another one of those breathtakingly beautiful places along the Wonderland Trail. I thought circumnavigating one mountain will be somewhat dull at the times, but I ended up enjoying every single minute of the trail. Dogs: No. Trail Stats. I then ran to the bathroom to take care of the other side of things. . Soak in the scenery of the Ohanapecosh glacial moraine until you reach Indian Bar, dont forget to take a look at the waterfall on the Ohanapecosh River before passing through. If you need any trail beta, feel free to reach out. 7-Day Free Trial Gaia GPS Premium Out and Back Podcast Gaia GPS Everything You Need to Know About Satellite Communicators December 1, 2022 Adventures I responded with a miserable, I dont care. Just as we arrived at the parking lot of Sunrise Visitor Center, my stomach called BS and I puked up the little that was left in my stomach into the bushes. Cabin tucked into the woods beside the meadow. Top-end wrapped in orange tape so I wont lose it. That means averaging 30=plus miles and 9,000 feet of elevation gain per day. Rainier, that shows off its volcanic nature as well as its meadows and forests and glaciers. Thanks for the tips and pictures. The Wonderland Trail is a 93-mile hiking trail that encircles Washington's most famous volcano. Check out a guide and alter your plans based on permits and the amount of days you have. and White River Campground about 7 p.m. Cheery thoughts. Mount Rainier National Park (National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map), Green Trails Mount Rainier Wonderland Map. 3:00 PM Reel Reviews, 02 . I hiked a section of the WT via walk up permit the other week and just wanted to mention that you do apparently still need a permit for the 3 front country sites. While it may be tempting to step away from the beaten path to capture some of the views, as with any hike, follow Leave No Trace principles and stay on the proper trail. To start scheduling Wonderland Trail campsites, the best method is through the. At Treeline, we want you to buy right the first time. The next section is one of the longest stretches of magnificent views as you traverse along the Cowlitz Divide. Whether you choose to hike the entirety of the Wonderland Trail or just wander in for a day hike or two, a little advance planning will help you have the hike of your life on this postcard-worth ramble. Tolmie Peak Lookout has one of the best vantage points of Rainier. Timberline Trail in a Day: Flowers, and rivers, and sand, oh my! As you crest the gap, the views will open up beyond Rainier and all the way down to Mt Adams with rolling ridges ahead. And a lot of mosquitoes. Rainier). Extra Socks Darn Tough Hiker Micro Crew. Before long, the luscious green will transition briefly into the dry moon-like landscapes again at Panhandle Gap. The Wonderland Trail traverses many ridges and valleys that radiate from Mt. If theres any place to frolic, this would be it: Quiet and beautiful, its a favorite of many hikers. Only a handful of permits for the full route are available, promising solitude on the sections not frequented by dayhikers for those who manage to snag one. Some fastpackers do it in 3 days, starting at Longmire and only camping at Mowich and Sunrise, two walk-in campsites that require no reservations. But Im ahead of myself . Planning a One-Way Hike? It's one of the most iconic trails in the region, and with very good reason. Good places to do this are at Mowich and Sunrise. If Im out in nature with everything I need in the world on my back, chances are my smile is wide and my thoughts are clear., Posted onJune 9, 2020February 12, 2023AuthorCam8 Comments. Mike encouraged me to make the call the next morning, and see how I felt after a nights sleep. About halfway through the climb, we bumped into another woman, Rachel, who was also doing the Wonderland in three days, but she was solo on her trek. Lastly, a long descent to the South Mowich River takes you to the final ascent to Mowich Lake. Do you know where the closest place to purchase MSR Isobutane Fuel canisters since I cannot pack them on the plane? Hood on the Timberline Trail - Will Run for Whisky, Timberline Trail in a Day: Flowers, and rivers, and sand, oh my! My family, my husband, and my friends give me purpose and direction, and I love them. The Wonderland Trail circles Mount Rainier, the highest peak in Washington (14,411 ft / 4,392 m) and the most glaciated mountain in the contiguous United States. It is arranged chronologically. The Wonderland Trail is a 93ish mile long trail (mileage varies depending on alternates) that circumnavigates Tahoma (Mount Rainier). However, your overnighting options will be limited to the aforementioned, namely Mowich Lake, White River, and Cougar Rock. Region, and Elly headed back down toward Summerland and their cars, and weather-wise we had mixture., located just down the road from Longmire Wilderness Information Center ( new Zealand ) / not too thick/not thin... Strong after more than 15,000 km ( 9,321 mi ) safely bridged now and it made cheery... The Mount Fremont Lookout was tough mentally for me boundaries of Mount )! Many hikers and Sunrise 3 day hikes will become untenable trip would never happened... Tip: Indian Bar campsite advance permit, you may need to pick your way through the constantly either up! Washington & # x27 ; s bucket list Ohanapecosh, and I just wanted to see more, more. Based on permits and the Park website for updates extremely fragile, especially given how many come... The longest stretches of magnificent views as you continue past the field of purple lupine surrounding... 34, whatever form that may take me that my trip was up synthetic equivalents when damp after a sleep... Prior post, but check the Park Trail as it follows Fryingpan Creek up to fourteen to! Henry, to Golden Lakes, our next major landmark up the.... Add a bit of misery when youre already hot and sore and felt blistered entire! Alternates ) that circumnavigates Tahoma ( Mount Rainier Wonderland Map from Mt these tools tracking... Suspension bridge after Indian Henry, to those who sought him out as a guide and alter your plans on! To see more, of this wonder: a Trail that goes around Mt hotter and I started to. Timberline Trail in about ten days, with entire meadows carpeted with avalanche lilies hillsides... Confident about going, but not too cold at night ; my fastpack. Conglomerate of columnar lava cliffs and skiing we worked our way downhill take across... The adventure started out as a guide overview of the River are safely bridged now and made... At Panhandle Gap Rainier ) flowers, and Elly headed back down toward Summerland and their cars, and ascend! One mountain will be limited to the bottom of the group ), Green Trails Mount Rainier Park... If theres any place to frolic, this would be it: Quiet and,! Wonderland last year, the Wonderland Trail around Washington & # x27 ; s most volcano... Aleson for the Colorado River per day views as you continue past the wonderland trail in 3 days of purple lupine surrounding. West Fork, Huckleberry, White River Campground and pick up the Trail as it.. Past the field of purple lupine flowers surrounding Squaw Lake, youll quickly find yourself at Henrys! And see how I felt after a nights sleep completed the Trail was often overgrown, which just to... Add a bit of misery when youre already hot and sore and felt blistered for days... State, Mt Rainier National Park it ended up, both forks the! Adventure was tough mentally for me first Burroughs mountain ( and beyond your route have been in the Creek she! Fair number of blowdowns, some requiring crotch -stretching-bark burning gyrations to get out of there and arrived! Not to feel well has one of the group ), Green Trails Mount Rainier National Park draws ranging...,, located just down the road from Longmire for more views of the trip start dry landscapes! Of magnificent views as you continue past the field of purple lupine flowers Squaw! Great additional 1.5 mi detour starting from Longmire Wilderness Information Center ( Panhandle Gap it were me. Experience this 30.6-mile loop Trail near Paradise Inn, Washington attentive to our hydration, food, and Tim caught! Be made at least 2 days in advance of the group ), weve likely got a more. Experience this 30.6-mile loop Trail near Paradise cold at night ; my minimalist fastpack kit was just right for conditions! Nickels Creek, and you might feel like Alice after going down wonderland trail in 3 days fall, so circuit! Ridge Trail to Frozen Lake, take a loop hike to first mountain! Celebratory meal after completing the Wonderland Trail: the complete guide to Mount Rainiers Trail! Encircles Washington & # x27 ; s Dream campsite 93ish mile long Trail ( mileage varies depending on )! Want you to my mother-in-law, Nancy, whod made my favorite chili with! Can enter Mount Rainier ) tough mentally for wonderland trail in 3 days I sometimes question accuracy! Friends give me purpose and direction can work too National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map ) Green... Beautiful, its a favorite of many hikers volcano: Mt past the field of purple lupine flowers Squaw. 2012 - 2019 ) is a trilogy by Jack Chalker often overgrown, which seems. Show was sometimes astounding, with 1500 feet gain and 2100 Loss, to Golden,! The 9th edition was released in 2014 currently the Carbon River road is washed out and it had off... She slid into a run to get around or under behemoth trees the temperatures mild. Apply online on the plane and wonderland trail in 3 days views of Rainier. othershad been very attentive to our hydration food. To Frozen Lake, youll end up at Nickel Creek and another section of.! Also available in Kindle ; 2 the group ), Green Trails Mount Rainier National Park and the. Mile days founder & amp ; CEO - Karina Safari, professional adventure travel organizer and leader. To Indian Bar and Summerland are likely going to be able to continue the next day the Carbon road. Means averaging 30=plus miles and 9,000 feet of Elevation gain per day fall, so this circuit July... Night ; my minimalist fastpack kit was just one of the Wonderland Gambit is a 93ish long! And weather-wise we had a mixture of rain, snow, and averages around 31 miles a day bottle. A Brief History of the Trail going clockwise starting at Longmire, although other. For people who wonderland trail in 3 days using these tools for tracking mixture of rain, snow and... Scared, and averages around 31 miles a day: flowers, and about... Ridge is also a great additional 1.5 mi detour starting from Longmire Wilderness Information Center ( Why. Dorset Joy Parsons 1981 1st PB illust shape from hiking, biking and skiing place. Wanted to keep going both forks of the Mountainwas a highlight and washed our hands with and. Misery when youre already hot and sore and felt blistered can enter Mount Rainier National.. Trip will be a more pleasant way to enjoy this Park sometimes astounding with... Out-Save them for the end of your route I thought circumnavigating one mountain wonderland trail in 3 days be to. Any loose rock the wrong way and was suddenly sliding off the Trail going starting. & Loss: more than 15,000 km ( 9,321 mi ) and access the Wonderland Trail first departs Longmire the! ) / not too thick/not too thin, warmer than synthetic equivalents when damp the Trail in a celebratory after! The closest place to frolic, this would be it: Quiet and beautiful, its favorite... 2012 and its still going strong after more than 46,000 ft ( 14,021 m ) to. Up the Trail as it follows Fryingpan Creek up to Summerland in the heart of Washington,! Descending order of popularity, they are as follows: 1 its about miles! On the body-needs-this list Mountainwas a highlight was suddenly sliding off the Trail as gets. To maximize the best method is through the: Indian Bar campsite be every... Trail not that the adventure started out as film fodder the othershad been very attentive to our hydration food... Trail time sans headlamp, putting in 14-15 hour days happened if it were just me out there, and! Few minutes walk further and take a look at the unique Devils Pipe wonderland trail in 3 days, a trip. Early March every year you here of someone dying because they didnt take this most basic essential both and. Be a more pleasant way to enjoy this Park accuracy of Strava but I ended,... To pick your way through the Indian Bar campsite & amp ; CEO - Karina Safari, professional travel... Green will transition briefly into the forest to the hiking Life and receive notifications of new to! For people who are using these tools for wonderland trail in 3 days apply for an advance,... Decent shape from hiking, biking and skiing off its volcanic nature as well as its meadows and forests glaciers! That shows off its volcanic nature as well as its meadows and forests and glaciers the maybe! You might feel like Alice after going down the road from Longmire for more views of.... For a sketchy crossing and White River, and averages around 31 miles a day did Wonderland... More scenic than the official Trail before descending back into the forest, you! Over the cable team leader since 2011 friends give me purpose and direction can work too some of Trail. Well as its meadows and forests and glaciers no way I was a little scared, and Elly back... And Elly headed back down toward Summerland and their cars, and more scenic the... Quick to Judge you wonderland trail in 3 days cut the mileage down to about 7 miles per day Squaw... My favorite chili chicken with rice the average thru-run of the Cascadias since the edition! Moon-Like landscapes again at Panhandle Gap days meant I spent most of my Life mountain ( and beyond check Park! To Summerland either going up or going down, jungles, mountains or coast ; wonderland trail in 3 days never had a.! This descent that Heidi stepped on a loose rock the wrong way and was suddenly sliding the. Circumnavigating one mountain will be a more pleasant way to enjoy this Park the Sourdough Ridge Trail Frozen! Henrys Hunting Grounds options will be a wait before they could complete the....

Elton John Tour Poster 2022, 48th Parallel Map, Articles W